Sunday, September 22, 2019

Day 12: Unf*ck Yourself: Get out of your Head and into Your Life -book review

Yesterday, I started this book titled "How to Unf*ck yourself" which resonated with me a lot. The author tries to show the way to wake you up for your true potential and get the most out of life.


The underlying idea of the book is based on the idea that 95% of our daily actions are controlled by our subconscious mind. The conscious decision that we make during the day are only 5%. Rest of the actions are done habitual and on autopilot mode. How many times have you returned back home without even realizing the way? How many times days weeks passed without you remembering any significant thing that happened?

"If human emotions largely result from thinking, then one may appreciably control one's feelings by controlling one's thoughts or by changing the internalized sentences or self-talk, with which one largely created the feeling in the first place."

The truth of the fact is that our subconscious mind controls us more way more than we know. The subconscious mind itself is governed by our thoughts. So the answer is if you are able to control your thoughts you will be able to control your life.

Weather you accept it or not we all have self talk. It is the voice in your head that constantly talks to you, assess the situation, judges you sometimes, take you back to the past and dreams you into the future. Depending on how positive or negative your self talk is determines how much in control you are.

The unf*ck yourself method is all about Training your brain for positive self talk and productivity habits. You can take control of your life by practicing conscious and decisive self talk. Just like we build any habit by repetitive action we can use strong assertive language over time to create lasting change in our lives.  Your mind can be trained into seeing opportunities in any situation rather than indulging into negative self criticism. Be conscious and diligent about the words you use.

How we talk and think about, and perceive our surroundings is the very foundation of our reality. One can create the reality they live by having the conversations with yourself and others. You can reframe your every day problems by relating to them as opportunities. They can become items in your life that you can use to educate and expand yourself.

Do not use the words "should" or "try". Do not use I am going to be or I will be instead use I am  or I embrace or I accept. ( Instead of saying I am going to be more productive say I embrace that I am more productive). Notice the difference between the words "I will be relentless" and "I am relentless". Try out assertive speaking in your daily life and catch yourself when you are using more general narrative kind of speaking.

"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts. Therefore, guard accordingly, and take that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature" - Marcus Aurelius

The personal assertion "I am wired to win" will support you in realizing how truly powerful you and your mind are. Make a bucket plan of the powerful and right ideas to train your thoughts.

I know it is not that easy to control thoughts or to create the positive thought patterns especially for those who are used to negative self talk. There is only one shortcut to create the right thoughts and it is to take the right Action.

I am not what I think I am what I do. "We become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions" -Aristotle. You change your life by doing, not thinking about doing. Doing is the quickest way to change your thoughts. Dont act on your thoughts. Act on whats in front of you. Change your life by changing your actions.

Top takeaways:

Do not complain. Take full responsibility over your life and circumstances. Never blame anyone or any situation for your failures or misfortune. Use assertive language in difficult situations such as "I got this" and ask yourself what can I learn from it. Think about how much stronger this difficulty or challenge will make you instead. 

Practice positive self talk. One way is to do a positivity challenge for a week. In fact, I just made up my mind. I am doing 7 day positivity challenge starting from today. The rules are simple. Consciously asses your self talk during the day and every time you find yourself indulged in a negative thought,  complaining or whining about any situation or any problem stop and re-frame that thought in your mind and speak out loud. Speak to yourself until you can clearly see the other perspective. When you speak to others do not use the weak language like I try, I should or I will instead use I am. Practice personal assertions such as I am wired to win. 

I like this challenge because you will be able to easily track how successful I am by reading my next blog post. See you tomorrow! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 23: GRE Vocabulary, Success Journal, Kick-Boxing, Balance of life

Learning new words has been something I never enjoyed. The idea of having to write a vocabulary, and memorize words always irritated me. How...